General Registration Information
The Glen Rock School District has begun its registration process for all incoming elementary students (Grades K-5) entering the district in September, 2014.
In-person registration will be held at the Glen Rock Public Library. Registration for families whose last name begins with A-L will be held on Tuesday, March 4 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Registration for families whose last name begins with M-Z will be held on Thursday, March 20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. School administrators and nursing personnel will be on hand to answer questions.
The school district is emphasizing that, for the convenience of all families, no appointments are necessary and all registrations will be treated equally with no “first come, first served” preference given with regard to class placement.
Official registration packets, including residency and age requirements and health forms can be downloaded from the files below. Parents are asked to complete all forms prior to registration and to note the following:
- Kindergarten registration is open to all resident children who will turn five years of age on or before October 1, 2014.
- Students entering Grade 1 must be six years of age by October 1, 2014.
- Please bring appropriate original proof of residency and birthdate along with one copy of each in order to expedite the process.
- Two proofs of residency must be presented:
1. Either a recorded deed showing ownership of a residence within the district, or a notarized lease or notarized letter from the landlord, effective during the current or upcoming school year.
2. In addition, families must present a public utility bill, received within the last three months, showing name, address and date. If the public utility bill is not in the name of the parent/guardian, two additional pieces of official mail are required, showing name, address and date, such as: property tax bill, driver’s license, insurance bill, telephone bill, cable bill, credit card bill, or bank statement.
- Proof of the child’s identity and age may include an original birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport.
Kindergarten Placement Process
The sequence of steps for kindergarten placement is being accelerated this year. Following registration, each child’s school placement will be determined through a process that seeks to balance enrollment figures across the four elementary schools, taking into consideration the presence of siblings. Families will be notified of their child’s school assignment by March 27, 2014.
Dates for parent Orientation and student “Round-Up” have also been moved up. Each elementary will host incoming Kindergarten families on April 2, 2014. Please save the date. Parents will visit their assigned school for a brief Orientation and the children will attend a “Round-up” session in the Kindergarten classrooms. Information regarding time and place for these events will be included in the March letter.
The elementary principals, along with the Kindergarten teaching staff, will utilize their expertise to establish the most appropriate grouping of students for morning and afternoon placement. To that end, family requests for placement will not be considered. Parents will be notified of their child’s class placement on April 12, 2014. Expediting the process in this way should provide families sufficient time to make individual arrangements for childcare or enrichment opportunities if they desire.
Interested families will also be able to register for the Glen Rock Community School’s Kindergarten Plus enrichment program at the time of kindergarten registration. Please click here for more information about that program.